Saturday, December 10, 2011

Digital Minds

This week we talked about how technology influences us, both negatively and positively. This reminded me of the interview of Dr. Keller. He explained that bundling technology forms in one package actually hurts people who need one single accommodation. For example, a phone that also accesses the internet, serves as a camera, and can play music is more expensive because it performs so many functions. However, what if Dr. Keller only wanted a phone to be a phone? Wouldn't it be cheaper if he was just trying to buy a simple cell phone that has no other functions? Furthermore, it's harder to find a phone that just serves as a phone!

When we think about dilemmas such as this one, it really makes us think about how technology affects us. Technology is ever evolving, and it reminds us of the age old question of: what is going to happen to our books? It has actually been really hard for me to find books for my reports as a graduate student. There is only one bookstore near me: Barnes and Nobles! Borders is out of business! And why would I go to B&N if I could order a book online on Amazon for a much cheaper price? But why even buy a physical copy of a book if google reader can digitze text? What is essentially the purpose of books? How about newspapers? I read the NYT online, and can't even remember the last time I read a real newspaper. What is this doing to our society? What is it telling us about ease of access of information? I remember when I played for the Maccabi Basketball Olympics, and my teammate and I were hosted by a family. When we were greeted the father said to us "I googled your families and I know all about you already!" He laughed - my roommate and I felt really uncomfortable. Is this acceptable? What is technology doing to our society?

To play devil's advocate, what about our students who benefit greatly from advancing technology? As far as student learning profiles - students like Sarah, need technology to communicate and participate! The SmartScan is essential for Sarah! More advancing technology would help her even more so in the future. For students like Jack, with ADHD, technology like the SmartBoard could seriously aid him in his difficulty to maintain attention. What can we develop in the future to help him?

When we consider other students, what about communicating with students all around the world? What about technology like Gchat, or AIM? These really help to make our world that much smaller. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing, is controversial, but I think it really helps to make people more worldly and united. I think the only way these technologies become bad is when people abuse them.

How can we find a balance? What can we do? Will this be an everlasting problem as technology continually advances? I personally have a laptop, an iPhone, and iPod, TVs with HD. I read NYT online and read most articles online. I don't consider myself too advanced technologically, but am I? What is "normal" these days for use of technology? I find myself preferring to text and email rather than make a phone call. How is this influencing my social skills? What can we do to remedy these issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment